Christian Atsu’s agent has said that the player’s dead body has been found under rubble following the tragic earthquake in Turkey. The former Newcastle and Chelsea winger had been missing ever since the huge quake struck almost two weeks ago. And his agent Murat Uzunmehmet has now told reporters in Hatay: “Atsu’s lifeless body was found under the rubble. Currently, more items are still being taken out. His phone was also found.
Another of Atsu’s agents, Nana Sechere, also posted on Twitter on Saturday morning to write: “It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well wishers that sadly Christian Atsu’s body was recovered this morning.
“My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones. I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support Over 45,000 people are estimated to have been killed in the earthquake, which struck both Turkey and neighbouring Syria. Nine days afterwards, with Atsu missing, Sechere said: “It has been nine days since the earthquake and we still have not located Christian.
I am at the quake site in Hatay with Christian’s family. The scenes are unimaginable and our hearts are broken for all the people affected. During my time here we have been able to locate Christian Atsu’s exact room location, and we have found two pairs of his shoes.
“Yesterday we received confirmation that thermal imagery was showing signs of up to five lives. However, I am told that the only real confirmation of life is through sight, smell and sound, and unfortunately we were not able to locate Christian. This is a difficult situation and we are extremely grateful to all the Turkish and foreign rescue teams, local civilians and volunteers for their efforts and response in rescuing survivors.
However, we urgently need more resources, including a translator, on the ground. Things are moving incredibly slow and as a result of that many rescues are being delayed, and lives are being lost due to the lack of resources available to the workers.”
Atsu spent eight years in English football after joining Chelsea in 2013. Atsu never played a competitive game for the Blues, instead enjoying a series of loan spells including at Everton and Bournemouth.
Atsu then joined Newcastle on an initial loan in 2016 and made the deal permanent a year later. The Ghana international made 121 appearances for the Magpies before leaving in 2021.
wisemediatv is still following the club for more information